Mediator (Auckland based, with the potential to relocate to Manukau)
Thursday, 12 April 2018
- Do you enjoy helping people from different backgrounds work through issues to reach solutions?
- Are you interested in the law and how it applies to fair workplaces?
- Are you experienced and/or interested in working with Maori, Pacific peoples and other cultural communities?
- Have you held roles in your community with similarities to the role of a Mediator?
If so, you could be our next employment mediator?
We're looking for someone who has experience working with law, different cultural community groups and has a passion to help workers and workplaces work through their disputes.
You'll need to be open-minded, engaging and able to work effectively with people across a range of different cultures and backgrounds. You'll know exactly how to put your great attitude, your excellent communication skills and professional know-how to good use to bring about positive results, plus you'll be passionate about working to assist clients to reach an acceptable solution.
As a Mediator with MBIE, you may be called upon to make decisions that are final and binding, and deal with dispute resolution matters. It's an important, interesting, varied and challenging job, and no two days will be the same.
Mediators play a critical role under the provisions of the Employment Relations Act, and they're involved in a wide range of employment relations activities – from assisting in the development of good employment relationships in the workplace to helping people resolve employment relationship problems and disputes.
Do you have what it takes?
- An understanding of workplaces and employment relations
- Confidence to chair and manage meetings
- Ability to work confidentially and professionally, often in emotionally-charged environments
- Experience working with Maori, Pacific people and other cultures
- Knowledge of New Zealand law
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to earn the confidence and respect of employers, employees, unions, practitioners and other stakeholders
- Ability to contribute to advancing the objectives of the Employment Relations Act
Previous Mediation/dispute resolution training or a qualification is desirable but not essential.
This role will require you to travel to our circuit locations within New Zealand.
To find out more click on our recruitment video or apply:
Click on the “Apply Now” to read and download the position description. Please apply directly online, complete the application form and submit your CV and cover letter outlining your suitability for this role. Part of the recruitment process might involve a video interview.
Email Monica Chow at Monica.Chow2@mbie.govt.nz quoting reference MBIE/1329499 if you have any further questions.
Applications close at Monday 30th April at 10pm.